Acne on the nose: Causes, Treatment and Prevention
- 1 How to differentiate between common acne and acne rosacea.
- 2 Causes of common acne on the nose.
- 3 Treatment of common acne on the nose.
- 4 Causes of Acne Rosacea
- 5 Treatment of acne Rosacea
Acne on the nose is a very common skin problem that affects people mostly at the age of puberty.
Pimples on your nose may be due to common acne or acne rosacea.
How to differentiate between common acne and acne rosacea.
- Common acne commonly appears as whiteheads and blackheads.
- Common acne usually appears on forehead and chin too, not only on the nose.
- Common acne usually gets worse in hot weather.
- Cases with common acne, cleansing their skin make your pimples better.
- Rosacea appears as tiny red pimples on the nose.
- Rosacea may be limited to the nose only(not appears on forehead and chin).
- Rosacea usually gets worse in cold weather.
- Cases with rosacea, cleansing their skin may increase pimples.
Causes of common acne on the nose.
Acne on the nose usually appears as a result of clogged pores as clogged pores will lead to the accumulation of sebum, dead skin cell, and bacteria.
There are less common causes that may lead to the appearance of acne on the nose, such as:
- Hormonal imbalance: acne usually appears on forehead and chin too.
- Bad hygiene.
- Using cosmetics that may irritate your skin.
- Positive family history.
The location of acne on your nose may point to the cause of the condition:
- Acne on the front tip of your nose: usually associated with digestive problems.
- Side-nose acne: usually associated with hormone imbalance.
- Inside nose acne: usually occurs due to hair removal or nose blowing.
Treatment of common acne on the nose.
Using skin cleanser twice daily can prevent future blackheads and whiteheads, but it has no effect on existing blackheads and whiteheads.
During the cold weather, the skin over the area of nose and forehead may become more oily, but the skin over the cheeks and chin may be drier. As a result of that, Cleanser should be applied on the nose and forehead for 60 seconds, but on the cheeks and chin for just 30 seconds or less.
During the hot weather, all face skin become more oily. The cleanser should be left on the face for 60 seconds.
Salicylic Acid Products
Salicylic Acid has a great effect on acne, as it reduces irritation and inflammation of the skin and removes excess dead cells.
Your dose of salicylic acid(0.5% to 2%) will be determined according to the severity of your case.
Your salicylic acid product should be in the form of a cream.
Benzoyl peroxide products
Benzoyl peroxide is a topical antibacterial medication which is one of the best acne treatment.
The first signs of improvement of the condition after usage of Benzoyl peroxide can be detected after 3 weeks, and the final result of the treatment appears after 8-12 weeks of use.
Note: Increase your dose of benzoyl peroxide, will not make you feel better faster.
You can also read:
Causes of Acne Rosacea
ِAcne rosacea is not true acne. Rosacea is a skin problem that appears as pimples and redness over the skin. Acne rosacea can occur as a result of blood vessels inflammation.
Specific causes of rosacea are still unknown, but the following factors may play a role:
- Positive family history.
- Fair skin.
- Bacterium Bacillus oleronius infection.
- Previous H.pylori infection.
- Immune response against mites.
Treatment of acne Rosacea
Brimonidine (Alphagan P)
Brimonidine is considered to be the first line of treatment of acne rosacea. Brimonidine constricts the blood vessels, and this leads to a decrease in redness and inflammation.
The topical antibiotic has a temporary effect. Antibiotics usually have a great effect on the cases with inflammatory acne.
If the previous medication cannot improve your condition, you may need alternative therapies, such as:
- Dermabrasion: used for removing dead skin cells and making the skin smoother.
- Laser therapy: to reduce skin redness and remove previous skin scar.
- Skin massage: to reduce the inflammation and the redness of the skin.